Swashbuckling Sykes Sets Up 2nds As Rain Ruins First’s Chances

A weekend dominated by rain saw Barrow Firsts denied a win as a result of one over failing to be bowled, the Seconds secure a much-needed win, thanks to a swashbuckling innings by Jonny Sykes, in another rain reduced game,  and the Sunday 3rds suffer a total washout.

At Hobbs Lane, Barrow seconds batted first on a wet and slow pitch. Openers Pete Holdaway and Bernie Forge struggled to find any timing, although Bernie pulled one short ball for 6 before a couple of run outs accounted for them both. Oscar Livesey and Paul Gard moved the score along to 66 before Jonny Sykes took centre stage. Uncharacteristically, Jonny found his innings hard going as he, too, found it hard to time the ball which was not coming on to the bat. After 5 or 6 overs, he began to get to grips with the bowling unleashing some powerful drives. In one over he hit 5 consecutive fours before ruining the symmetry by despatching the final ball for 6 to reach his 50. Finding good support from skipper, Ellie Holdaway (18 not out), the score moved on to 183-7 although Jonny had previously departed for 73 (2 sixes and 11 fours).

In reply visitors Hambrook 3rds also found it slow going faced with some accurate bowling from Paul Gard and Mike Lilley who both took an early wicket. Change bowlers Nick Heal and Oscar Livesey continued the good work and when rain started to fall Hambrook were behind the rate at 72-3 off 24.4 overs leaving Barrow the winners, as they finally escaped from the relegation zone of Division 13.

The Firsts, though, were less fortunate. They bowled really well to restrict YMCA 2nds to 189-9 with skipper, Paul Glazzard, bowling an excellent spell to take 5/30 and Matt Owen chipping in with 2/25. In reply Barrow were ahead of the required rate as Sam Turner made another telling comeback, making 40 not out. As the 20th over, required for a result, arrived the rain fell and Barrow were forced off the field leaving the game as a “no result”, which may be expensive as the season progresses.

The overnight and morning rain fell heavily and Hobbs Lane was waterlogged leaving the 3rd XI without a game.

Spread the word. Share this post!