With the evenings slowly becoming lighter the cricket season is nearly upon us and so are pre-season nets; these will begin on Sunday 8th March 10-12 am at Merchant’s Academy, Withywood and run for 5 weeks. It is essential that all players make the effort to attend these sessions as we look for a strong start to the season for both the senior and junior sections. New players are always welcome so if you have any friends or acquaintances that are interested in joining then please bring them along too! Following this there are several pre-season friendlies before the league begins.
We have expanded our Sunday fixture list considerably this year to give more players more chance to play, Mark Forge has kindly taken on the role of Sunday captain. Both myself and Mark Gracey will be liaising with Mark to make sure that players as given as much cricket as possible with an aim of promoting youth players and those that didn’t play on Saturday. A full selection criteria can be found on the newly updated Barrow Gurney CC website. Please check the fixture list regularly and make yourself available, remember it is your responsibility to let the captains know you can play, not for them to have to chase you!
If any of you would like branded Barrow Gurney playing or training wear this can be purchased through Globe Sports website as in previous yeasr. It would be great if all players could wear a Barrow Gurney CC playing shirt on match days.
Finally, in order to prepare the ground for the new season there will be a work day on Sunday 29th March after nets. Please try to come up to the ground after training and don’t leave it to the usual few, many hands make light work after all!
See you soon, Phil Milton (1st XI Captain).
Please find attached the 2015 friendly fixtures including the annual double wicket competition and the family competition.
Download Friendly Fixtures
Attached are the 2nd XI fixtures for 2015. This season the 2nd XI will be playing in Division 11 of the Bristol & District League.
Once again – a lot of the opposition either use shared grounds, or have several playing fields. Please check with your captain of the precise location in advance of the match.
Download 2nd XI Fixtures
Please find attached the 1st XI Fixtures for the 2015 season. Barrow Gurney 1ST XI will be playing in the 2nd Division of the Bristol & District League this season. Please be aware that many of the oppositions in this league do not have their own home grounds and use shared or public sports facilities. It will be wise to check with the captains in advance of away games where they will be held.
Further fixtures will follow for other teams pending clarification of dates and venues etc.
Download the 1st Fixtures here (Excel/Notepad):
Download 1st XI Fixtures
All confirmed fixtures can also be searched on by going to our fixtures page: here
- goal is to obtain promotion to B&D div 1 within 3 years
- the team will be the best 11 who can be fielded
- the side will bat/bowl to reflect players’ abilities
- this may result in some players not having much of a game
- goal is to enable those players with a preference for Saturday cricket to play
- the team will give junior players experience of senior cricket and develop their abilities
- assisted by older players who can pass on their experience
FRIENDLY XI (usually Sunday)
- Goal is a pleasant afternoon of cricket away from the pressure of league expectation
- Selection MUST include
- a) anyone unable to play on Saturday b) anyone not selected for either Saturday teams c) any ‘stand-ins’ for first XI to have a decent game
- captains must take into account amount of cricket already played by juniors in junior teams
- if places available, this team is an opportunity for out of form players to practice
Welcome to another season at Barrow Gurney. In 2015 BGCC will be entering senior teams in the Bristol & District and North Somerset Leagues. Again the junior section will be running several teams and new players are always welcome to join the club.