Hampset Win In Hardy’s Farewell Game Despite Another Brown Century

The 1st team began their final game of the season knowing they did not have a great deal to play for other than pride. Hampset however knew that they needed a maximum bonus point win in order to secure their promotion so they however did have plenty to play for.

Winning the toss Phil Milton decided to ask Hampset to bat first on a damp track but as has been the way in recent weeks Barrow found the going tough and  the early breakthrough they desired failed to materialise.  The first wicket eventually fell in fortunate circumstances when Rob Figs ran out the batter backing up after deflecting it onto the stumps with the score on 88.  The second wicket fell in equally bizarre circumstances when the other opener, now on 98, was run out after a horrendous mix up over an easy single.  The number 3, Williams, put the mix up behind him however smashing 105 from just 55 balls including 8 maximums. Barrow ended up conceding 291 for 6 in the allotted 45 overs. The third successive big score scored against them.

Phil Milton opened with Mark Brown but was out cheaply which brought James Mitchell to the wicket.  He and Brown began to play some fine shots before James fell caught behind for 14 with the score on 35.  This ended a fantastic debut season for James scoring 371 league runs at 46.38.  Mick Hardy, playing his final league game, came to the crease and played some classical Hardy drives through the in-field.  When his fine innings came to an end on 29, with the score now on 132-3, he was given a guard of honour from both sets of players in recognition for all he has achieved in the colours for Barrow Gurney down the years; a special moment.

Mark Brown was now into the 80’s playing another great innings and Barrow still had an outside chance of winning needing about 8 an over. Ali Hood batting at the unusual position of number 5 played some not so classical shots hitting 16 before being given out LBW attempting a reverse sweep. Ben Skuse, scored 16 being bowled. Mark Brown, playing a chance-less innings fell for 109, his second hundred of the season, and with it Barrow’s chances of winning ended. Rob Figs, fell for 6 and Paul Glazzard for 4 meaning that Hampset needed just 2 more wickets to seal promotion back to Division 1.  Oscar Livesey showed resolute defence before being bowled leaving James Riley and Kieran Owen to bat out the last five overs.

Hampset started to get a little anxious as Kieran did very well to see out a short pitched penultimate over leaving Riley to face the final six.  For four balls he showed a sound technique but he inexplicably decided to leave the fifth ball only to see it hit his off stump sealing promotion for Hampset.

The first team have played some fantastic cricket, especially in the earlier part of the season beating all of the other teams, except the top two, in the league at least once sealing 6th position.  Given Barrow were promoted last season this has been a good and enjoyable season.

Spread the word. Share this post!